Why do you need a WordPress YouTube plugin? With how fast the internet is growing there is no shortage of websites and blogs. So, if you want to step up your game and grow your website, video is the way to go.
Maybe you have a popular YouTube channel and you don’t have a website, in which case creating one is a good idea. You’ll have way more control over your content as you can showcase your videos on your website, and also add links from your videos back to your site.
WordPress supports adding YouTube videos to posts and pages without plugins. However, if you want to do something more advanced you’ll need a plugin.
So in this article, we will be listing various plugins you can use to achieve this.
- Reasons why a Plugin is needed
- Embed Plus for YouTube
- WP YouTube Lyte – WordPress plugin
- Essential Grid Gallery WordPress Plugin
- Video Gallery – YouTube Gallery
- YouTube Showcase – Best YouTube Video Gallery for WordPress
- Video Gallery – YouTube Playlist, Channel Gallery by YotuWP
- Visual Composer YouTube Channel with Carousel Premium WordPress Plugin
- Yottie WordPress YouTube Channel Plugin
- WordPress Responsive YouTube Playlist Video Player
- YouTubeR – Unique YouTube Video Feed & Gallery Plugin
- Videozoom – WordPress theme
- Feed Them Social – for Twitter feed, YouTube, Pinterest and more
- Conclusion – WordPress YouTube Plugin
Reasons Why A Plugin Is Needed
Like we stated earlier, YouTube videos can be added without using plugins. However, using plugins has its perks. Some of the reasons to get plugins are:
- Improve page load times by caching YouTube video thumbnails locally
- Disabling related videos.
- Make galleries out of playlists and channel videos
- Support for GDPR ( General Data Protection Regulation )
- Custom YouTube player
There are many options when it comes to YouTube plugins for WordPress. For this reason, we compiled a list of various free and paid plugin.
1. Embed Plus for YouTube
Embed Plus for YouTube is one of the best YouTube WordPress plugins on the market. With more than 200,000 active installs and a 4.6 average rating, this made number one on our list. In general, this plugin has everything you might need out of WordPress YouTube embed plugin. You can make video galleries from YouTube playlists or channels. You can also hide related videos and much more.
Although there is a paid version with more features, you can get a lot out of the free version. The PRO versions support caching and it’s going to speed up the page loads. So if you have a bigger website getting the PRO version is a good idea. In case you just want to test this plugin, all core features are available in the free version. The only downside is that your website might run a bit slow.
As at the writing of this article, the premium version costs $39.99. This plugin also offers Analytics Dashboard, Deleted Video Alerts, and Blocked Country Alerts. However, these features will cost $49.99 for 1-year access.
- Creation of responsive YouTube video galleries from playlists or YouTube channel
- Compatible with the WordPress 5.0+ Gutenberg block editor
- Support for GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) out of the box. With options like YouTube no cookie, YouTube API restrictions, and a customizable GDPR consent message
- YouTube gallery auto continuous play. Allows for continuous play of playlist or channel gallery. Viewers don’t need to click on the next video
- Display YouTube live streams directly on your website
- Show or hide related videos at the end. Disabling related videos is a good way to keep users longer on your website
- Make your video, gallery, or live stream responsive so that it dynamically fits all screen sizes (smartphone, PC and tablet).
2. WP YouTube Lyte – WordPress plugin
WP YouTube Lyte is a completely free plugin. The main focus of this plugin is the “lazy loading” of videos. So if your webpages load slowly because of YouTube videos, this plugin is perfect for you.
The plugin works by inserting responsive “Lite YouTube Embeds”. So from a user perspective, these video embeds look like regular YouTube videos. However, there is no call to YouTube if the user does not click on a video. There is also an option to cache YouTube thumbnails locally, improving both performance and privacy. This may also help with GDPR. That said, you better ask your lawyer for that.
In case you already have some YouTube links, this plugin will pick them up. Therefore you can continue to use a regular WordPress interface for adding video links. Alternatively, you can use the WP YouTube Lyte sidebar widget.
With this plugin, you have support for all web browsers. Also, the plugin has full support for responsive scaling of videos based on device screen size.
- Lazy loading
- Support for videoObject microdata
- Cross-browser compatibility
- Full control of player size
In conclusion, if your WordPress video site is running slow from all YouTube videos, give this plugin a go.
3. Essential Grid Gallery WordPress Plugin
If you want to build a grid of YouTube videos we recommend Essential Grid Gallery WordPress Plugin. Besides making a grid of YouTube videos this plugin offers more features. The plugin supports all big social media streams like Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Flickr, etc. Also, you can build a custom WordPress gallery grid out of posts and pages.
The plugin is not free. It costs $69 for a regular license and $170 for an extended license. In case end users are charged for, you’ll need an extended license.
- Support for YouTube, Vimeo, HTML5 self-hosted video, iFrame, images, posts, WooCommerce, and galleries
- Dedicated Video Tutorials Channel for Beginners
- Responsive and mobile-optimized
- Visual skin editor
- Various animation types and preloaders.
4. Video Gallery – YouTube Gallery
In case you want to build a YouTube video gallery, we recommend using YouTube Video Gallery plugin made by Total-Soft. The plugin promises a fully responsive and touch-friendly design. In other words, your gallery will look good on any device. Also, you are not limited to just YouTube videos. The plugin supports Vimeo, Wistia and good old MP4 videos.
There are free and paid versions of this plugin. As at the writing of this article, paid version cost $15 for a personal, $29 for a business license and $50 for a developer license. Although, there is a paid version you get a lot of features with the free version. The paid version only adds the ability to change the look of the gallery. In other words, you can change the font, color, icons, etc. So if you are happy with the look of the free version you can keep using the free version of the plugin.
- User-friendly editor
- Video Galleries themes – 16 free version
- Responsive and touch-friendly
- Support YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia, MP4
- Gallery animations that run smoothly on modern devices.
5. YouTube Showcase – Best YouTube Video Gallery for WordPress
If you did not like our previous choices we have one more that you can try out. Although YouTube Showcase is marketed as a gallery plugin, it also supports grid layout. If you go with a gallery option this plugin will display video thumbnail navigation at the bottom. The videos are ordered by lasted video first. For the grid layout, you get 4 columns responsive layout.
Compared to our previous plugins on the list, YouTube showcase does not have as many options. However, it’s also a completely free plugin so if its features set works for your website then there is no reason not to use it.
6. Video Gallery – YouTube Playlist, Channel Gallery by YotuWP
YotuWP is another responsive YouTube video gallery plugin. The plugin supports embedding videos from various sources like playlist, channel, username, etc. It also supports a large selection of highly customizable layouts. You can create YouTube video grids, lists, and mixed layouts.
While there is a premium version, it’s not required since the free version has a lot of features. That said, premium version is not expensive. It is $21 one-time payment for a personal site, $49 for business and $119 for unlimited. And you get some cool features that might be worth to some people. You get more layouts carousel, masonry, the big player left and right. Also, you can display video duration, views, comment count and publishing date. The premium version also has better thumbnail styles. In any case, the premium version is mostly cosmetics. So if you like how the free version looks you don’t need to spend money.
7. Visual Composer YouTube Channel with Carousel Premium WordPress Plugin
In case you want to display videos from a YouTube channel page, this premium plugin does it with a stile. This plugin comes with 7 pre-defined beautiful design templates. Also, developers promise to make even more templates in the future. For every template, you have the option to select one of three layouts masonry, fit-rows, and carousel.
While this plugin is a really good option we could not put it higher on the list. The reason being that to use this plugin you also have to get a WPBakery page builder. So technically you need to buy two plugins, not one. Page builder costs $64 for a regular and $299 for an extended license. Also, you need to buy this plugin for $17 for a regular and $105 for an extended license. So in total $81 for regular or $404 extended license. Still, we think this plugin is well worth it, especially if you have a page builder already.
- Fully responsive YouTube channel gallery
- Multiple galleries per page
- No API key required
- Plug n play. Just add your youtube user-id and it will work
- Highly customizable options
- Full control over all elements styles(look and feel).
8. Yottie WordPress YouTube Channel Plugin
We decided to include one more YouTube Channel Plugin on the list. Unlike the previous plugin, Yottie does not require the visual composer to work. However, if you have a visual composer, it does support it. It is also compatible with the new WordPress editor Gutenberg.
Yottie has all the features you’ll ever need to display YouTube videos on your WordPress website. You can manage any combination of YouTube channels, playlists, and videos. The plugin allows you to embed YouTube videos anywhere on your website. Also, it has a fully responsive design so your website will look good on any device. When it comes to the customization you can change every little detail. There are over 100+ Adjustable Parameters, 5 color schemes, and 16 language support.
One cool feature that might be unique to Yottie is AdSense support. With this plugin, you can display ads alongside your videos to increase your earnings.
The plugin also comes in two versions self-hosted or hosted by Yottie. As at the writing of this article self-hosted version costs $49. Also, you need to take in to account WordPress hosting cost. Another option is to host your YouTube widget on Yotties server. This cost from $0 to $25 per month. However, the price varies depending on how many visitors you have on your WordPress blog.
- User-friendly visual editor
- Display videos from YouTube channels, playlists, and videos
- Fully customizable with over 100+ Adjustable Parameters
- AdSense support
- 100% compatible with WordPress. Works with any WordPress theme.
9. WordPress Responsive YouTube Playlist Video Player
Another useful plugin for embedding YouTube videos on your website. This plugin supports playlists, channel or single video sources. The player is fully responsive and it will look good on any screen size. Also, the player has a fully custom look that can be customized. You can embed videos using shortcode into any WordPress posts or pages. There are two layouts for video player, horizontal and vertical.
If you decide to get this plugin, the price is $20 for regular and $100 for an extended license.
- Enter a YouTube Playlist, Channel Playlist, or a single Video
- Newest YouTube API V3
- Native Fullscreen Support for Major Browsers
- Fully Responsive & Intelligent Resizing
- Custom Player Controls
- Continuous Play & Autoplay
- Beautiful Admin Panel to change player settings
- Many Options More, like continuous playing, autoplay, max results, first video, annotations, fullscreen, fixed-width, volume, etc.
10. YouTubeR – Unique YouTube Video Feed & Gallery Plugin
The YouTubeR has one unique feature that we did not find in any other plugin. With this plugin, you can upload videos to YouTube directly from your website. Then easily embed YouTube videos, playlists, channels to your website. Additionally, you get almost all the features that other plugins offer.
- Fully responsive layout
- 5 templates to choose from
- Fully compatible with visual composer
- Video galleries
- Optimized WordPress caching
There are a free Lite version and a paid version of this plugin. With the lite version, you get fewer customization options. The paid version costs $20 for regular and $99 for an extended license.
11. Videozoom – WordPress theme
Videozoom is not a plugin, however, it’s a powerful video theme. If the focus of your website is to display videos then this can be a good option. This is because this theme is an all in one solution. Therefore, you don’t need to mix and match plugins to achieve the result you are going for. All you need to do is buy the theme and customize it to your liking. The price of this theme is $69. Also, WPZOOM offers all themes package. For $99 you get 36 themes. Although this solution might not be for everyone we think it is a good option to consider.
12. Feed Them Social – for Twitter feed, Youtube, Pinterest and more
Feed Them Social is an interesting plugin. While you can use it as a WordPress YouTube plugin, it does way more. It supports social feeds from Facebook Pages, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube feeds. With this plugin, you can bring all the social media to your website. When it comes to YouTube, you get decent features set. The plugin supports a few layouts. There is also a fully customizable gallery, popup video gallery, and single video option.
The power of this plugin is in combining social media feeds. So if this is something that you might need it’s a nice choice. However, if you just need a YouTube plugin we think that the plugins we already presented do a better job. Still, we found this plugin really cool and decided to include it on the list.
This plugin has free and paid versions. The paid version is $50 for a single website. You can check the full list features of the pro version here.
Conclusion – WordPress YouTube plugin
To sum up, there are a lot of choices when it comes to YouTube plugins for WordPress. With many plugins having similar features it might be hard to decide. Almost all of the plugins have a free version that you can install. So if the features alone are not sufficient to help you decide, you may install a couple and get a feel of them.
We hope that you found a plugin that fits your needs on our list. If you still need help deciding our recommendations are:
- All around the best option is EmbedPlus. In general, you can’t go wrong with this plugin.
- If you want is to speed up page load time go with WP YouTube Lyte.
- For creating video galleries you have a lot of options. If for some reason you don’t like EmbedPlus you can try out Video Gallery – YouTube Gallery or Yottie.
- If you are just starting your WordPress site you might want to look at the Videozoom theme.
For more WordPress tutorials check out our WP college. If you have further questions, you may write them in the comment section below.
- How to Completely Delete WordPress Site
- Enabling Twitter Cards on a WordPress Site
- How to Disable Right-Click in WordPress