If you plan to make knowledge available to the public, then you may need a WordPress LMS plugin for your site. To choose the right one, you need to understand what each LMS offers. You can then compare this to the nature of your audience and the types of courses you want to offer.
This article will review the best WordPress LMS plugins that you can use to run your online courses. With this knowledge, you can make an informed choice.
- What is WordPress LMS Plugin?
- Why you need an LMS Plugin
- Things to look out for in a LMS Plugin
- Top 9 WordPress LMS plugins compared
What is WordPress LMS Plugin?
Learning Management Systems (LMS) are software applications for delivery of educational courses on the internet.
LMS applications have these features:
- Support course building
- Tests and Grading
- Reporting of course progress
- Certification for completed courses.
Why you need an LMS Plugin
You need to use an LMS Plugin because it saves time. With the application, you can set a unified learning standard for all your students. Using automated grading and quizzes, students can easily be scored.Some may decide to use posts and membership plugins to offer paid training, and this may work in some cases. However, if you wish to track student progress, offer tests and grading, etc, then LMS plugin is the way to go.
Things to look out for in a WordPress LMS Plugin
To give yourself a smooth online teaching experience, here are a few things you should look for in an LMS plugin for WordPress.
- Course builder feature where you can create lessons and upload lesson files.
- Course progress information to show to your students their progress.
- Student enrollment and management. This will show you how many people are in your courses and membership payments.
- Quizzes and tests to evaluate how much your students absorbed your course material.
- Chats and Forums for interactions between students and teachers.
- Automated emails to help students see that they’re progressing.
- A payment gateway or ability to integrate with payment gateways.
- Certification on course completion.
Top 9 WordPress LMS plugins compared
We have put together 9 WordPress LMS plugins. We will provide details of their features to enable you to choose the best LMS plugin for your site.
LearnPress is free. This LMS Plugin provides a great user interface to create and manage courses.
- LearnPress works great with any WordPress theme.
- It supports WordPress Multisite.
- Courses can be imported or exported from and to other websites which also use LearnPress.
- Courses you have created can be shared, and you can monitor its trend and student statistics.
- LearnPress allows you to sell courses you created. It supports many billing method such as Paypal, WooCommerce, Stripe, etc.
- It supports Group Payment.
- LearnPress facilitates communication between student and instructor via WordPress forum.
- You can create quizzes from randoms questions in question bank. There’s also a no distraction mode when a student is taking a quiz.
- You can view all enrolled user.
- LearnPress provide a bunch of free and premium add-ons. These add-ons are used to provide extra features for LearnPress.
- LearnPress has been translated into the following languages:
The price for this plugin ranges from $199 to $369, between the Basic, Plus and Pro packages.
Four categories of features of LearnDash WordPress LMS are:
- It has a great, drag and drop course builder feature.
- There is advanced quizzing feature.
- Courses and lessons can have prerequisites that must be completed first.
- Grade-book feature can be added (paid ad-don).
- Courses can have points.
- It issues badges and certificates.
2. Monetize feature
- It has a one-time purchase option.
- Subscriptions are supported for users.
- There is a shopping cart feature for courses.
- There is membership access feature for users.
- Course bundle can be purchased by students.
- Bulk licences for organizations.
3. Administration feature
- User profiles.
- Email notifications.
- Group management.
- Detailed reporting.
- Assignment management.
- Expire access.
4. Tech feature
- LearnDash supports TIN CAN API & SCORM.
- It is enabled to function on multisites.
- The LMS can be used with any WordPress theme.
- All forms of media format WordPress supports. These include Images, Videos, Audio files, Google docs, SWF files, etc.
- It is responsive and is supported on mobile devices with various resolutions.
- There is support from industry experts when you need it.
Teachable LMS is a tool for creating online courses and hosting them on its subdomain. But, you can integrate your courses into your WordPress site. It has three plans: Basic $29, Professional $79, Business $399. On the Basic plan, you pay a 5% transaction fee for every course sold, unless you sign up for the Professional or Business plans.
- Create engaging lectures: Add video, audio, text, image, and PDF files. Import content from OneDrive, Google Drive, or Dropbox.
- Build a website: Create new pages with the drag-&-drop page builder.
- Your course is fully responsive. Content can be viewed from smartphones, tablets, and computers.
- Easily draft, customize, and launch new course pages with a page editor.
- You can start with a free domain (yourname.teachable.com). You may also host with your domain (yourname.com), or using a subdomain (school.yourname.com).
- Reach students worldwide in any language.
- Has a comprehensive dashboard. See a snapshot of student signups and revenue across a defined time period on your Teachable dashboard.
- Quizzes: Easily create quizzes to grade your students.
- Discussions through the comments feature.
- Completion certificates to verify student success. Customize certificates for each course.
- Student feedback. Collect information from students with surveys, Google forms, etc.
- Advanced pricing options. Charge a one-time fee, sell a subscription, or set up a payment plan and offer individual or bundled courses.
- Accept international payments. Take payments from 130+ international currencies through Stripe or PayPal.
- Technical support: To fix issues as they arise.
- Instant upgrades: Automatically receive the latest features immediately, without having to manually update.
- SSL certificate. A 2048-bit SSL certificate keeps your students’ information secure during login and checkout.
LifterLMS has three bundles.
- $99 each for the Individual Add-ons bundles.
- $299 per year for Universal Bundles.
- $999 per year for Infinity Bundle.
LifterLMS helps manage and control your own online school from your WordPress website.
It’s features are:
Course Creation feature
- Multimedia Lessons: supports different forms of media and learning styles.
- Quizzes and Quiz Timer.
- Course Builder: Build courses with ease.
- Prerequisites: You can require the completion of other lessons or courses before a course unlocks.
- Student Dashboard: Learners can keep track of their progress.
- Multi Instructor: Assign multiple teachers to a course.
- Lesson Downloads.
- Discussion Areas: Enjoy multiple discussion areas including forums and private coaching.
- Form Integrations: Use form plugins to collect assignments, messages, etc.
- Graphics Pack for pre designed certificate backgrounds and achievement badges.
- Course Reviews.
- Payment with credit cards.
- Recurring subscriptions.
- Payment Plans.
- PayPal integration for recurring payments or one-time purchases.
- Free Courses.
- Course Bundles: Create and sell bundled courses.
Student Engagements feature
- Personalized Email.
- Text Messaging.
- Achievement Badges.
- Private Coaching.
Site Management feature
- Course Bundles: Create memberships that give access to a number of courses.
- Automatic Enrollment: Students can be automatically enrolled.
- Content Restrictions: Prevent access to courses, forums, pages, etc with membership options.
- Special Pricing for Members: A price reserved for subscribed members to gain access to exclusive content.
- Bulk Enrollment: Enroll current members in recently added courses with a single click.
- Most payment gateways supported.
- Responsive on mobile devices.
- Compatible with most WordPress theme
- Technical Support.
- Live Office Hours.
- Free Training Courses: to help you get the skills you need to build your project.
- Setup Wizard.
- Detailed Documentation.
- Demo Course.
5. Sensei LMS
Sensei LMS is built by Automattic and integrates effortlessly with your WordPress site. It is a WooCommerce extension and it enables you to sell your courses using the WooCommerce eCommerce platform.
With the extension, you can subscribe for a year on either of the two available plans. The single site plan costs $ 129.00, while the 5 sites plan costs $179.00
Also with the extension comes the following features:
- Generate income by creating courses that can be sold.
- Offer a free trial.
- Restrict course content to paying members.
- Accept recurring payments for continued access to a course.
Sensei LMS, makes the creation of courses, lessons, and quizzes to be easy. All your course settings can be done through your WordPress Admin Dashboard.
It works with your preferred WordPress theme.
6. Namaste! LMS
Namaste! LMS plugin exists as free Namaste! LMS, and Namaste! PRO. It works with any theme on your WordPress site. However, you can obtain special Namaste! LMS theme for $47. It has one year of premium support and free upgrades.
Basic features of Namaste! LMS Plugin are:
Create High-Quality Online Courses
- Create Lessons: Manage an unlimited number of lessons in each course.
- Lessons support rich text, media and plugin contents.
- Define various criteria for lesson completeness.
- Define which lessons should be completed to complete a course.
- Create and add assignments.
Site Management feature
- Publish the course descriptions on your site to encourage subscribing.
- Charge to enroll in courses – Paypal and Stripe integrations available.
- Auto-approve or manually review students who want to enroll in a course.
- Manage students in each course and see their to-do lists for every lesson.
- Add notes to student’s solutions to help them resolve the problems.
- Assign Completion certificates.
- Tin Can / xAPI integration.
7. MasterStudy LMS
MasterStudy LMS Plugin is free, and works on your WordPress site. But when you use Masterstudy WordPress theme, you’ll get extra features available in Pro version of Masterstudy LMS plugin. This will help create a great online learning website for you and your students.
MaterStudy LMS Plugin features
- Comprehensive lesson content, made up of 3 lesson types: video, slideshow, and text.
- Recurring subscription for students.
- One-time purchase.
- Integration with PayPal & Stripe.
- Real-time questions and answers feature during the lessons.
- Quiz countdown timer, results, and retake option.
- Courses ratings.
- Messaging and notification system.
- Certificate generation.
- Wish list for courses.
- Instructor & student profiles.
8. Good LMS
GoodLMS goes for $32. It’s basic LMS features include the option of creating unlimited courses, reward for the learner, and online payment.
- The course builder feature allows the upload of different categories of media: videos, pdf, texts, etc.
- Created courses can be sold with payment methods like PayPal and Stripe.
- Online Quiz: You can add a quiz at the end of a course to judge the knowledge of the student about a certain subject.
- Coupon Code: to increase student enrollment, you can create coupons and give discounts.
- Instructor Profile.
- Course Certificate.
- Rating System: enables users to rate the courses on the website. It increases visitor involvement on the site.
- GoodLMS WordPress Plugin is WPML Plugin compatible. It helps you translate your website to any preferred language.
9. CoursePress Pro
Coursepress is a premium plugin, and is valued at $228. But with EducationPress theme, you can get it for free.
EducationPress theme helps to build text courses, video courses, share audio, creates quizzes, etc.
CoursePress PRO Features
- It can offer courses for free, or sell access to your courses and materials with e-Commerce integration.
- It does not have any course limitation.
- Courses are delivered with assessments, questions, chat and forums.
- WordPress CoursePress Pro Plugin is completely customizable. It also works well with a WordPress theme.
- Other features are as follows:
- Automatic reporting
- Automatic grading
- Teacher and student management
- Interactive discussion board
- Live chat integration
- Promotional videos
- Signup forms
- Popup login forms
All the WordPress LMS Plugins listed in this review are great for hosting online courses. However, if we had to recommend, it would be LearnDash or LifterLMS plugins. Both plugins have solid technical support teams that offer support anytime you need. They also offer robust features to provide your students with a seamless learning experience.
Building your online course and hosting it makes you responsible for the management of your site and students.
For any serious education provider, your ultimate aim is to provide the best course experience for your students. For this purpose, premium plugins may serve you better because you get some support and advanced tools.
However, the decision is up to you. You now know the features to look for in good WordPress LMS plugins, as well as features offered by the 9 reviewed WordPress LMS plugins. You can now make an informed decision.